Wednesday, July 08, 2009

 

Wedding anniversary

So, obviously, what with it being our 14th wedding anniversary, I went on a clergy trip to Canterbury. Actually, Moo was at work during the day, and I was back in time to put the girls to bed, so that's what I did. Each year we (the team) go on an away day: just a chance to talk, discuss, and just have social time together. And this year we went to Canterbury. It was my first chance to spend much time with Sally, our new curate, and we had a great time. Lots to discuss, and lots of theological discussion, particularly over lunch and in the car there and back.

I don't think I've ever visited the cathedral before, and it's _big_. Lots of beautiful things in there, including a lovely chalice and paten belonging to a C12th archbishop (Hubert Walter), some amazing wall paintings, and some great stained glass. I particularly liked the early glass and the C20th glass (of which I bought a couple of postcards for Jo and Miri). I wandered around mostly on my own, and was struck again by the connection I felt with priests through the ages. Hundreds - thousands - have worshipped there, and having the continuity is very special to me at the moment.

Now that the girls are in bed and asleep, we've enjoyed a shoulder of lamb and some chocolates. And soon it'll be time for the 3rd episode of the latest Torchwood.

I hope to get more sleep tonight than last: I stayed up till around 1200 with some wine, chatting on FB to Gary and Sally, and then Jo woke me up around 0515...

Labels: , ,


Comments:
well, it was good to chat!

You paint a wonderful picture here ,but how do you wonder around a Cathedral????

yay score, it's not often I spot a spelling mistake from you.....
 
Corrected. Thx, obviously. Though I guess I was walking around in wonder: does that count?
 
it is a lovely Cathedral isn't it. Emma's graduation ceremony was held there, one of the perks of studying at Christchurch.
 
The first year we went to Rome. Last year we went to Paris. I leave and you go to Canterbury?! What's on the agenda for next year? A team day out in Braintree?
 
I'm concerned it's going to be Romsey or Dagenham.

Or, heaven preserve us, Walsingham.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?