Friday, March 13, 2009

 

Lenten service

I took a Lent service at noon today. Half an hour: I chose to talk about forgiveness, how hard it is, and how God will understand if we can't forgive. I based it around a guided reflection on Jesus' words on the cross: in particular his "forgive them, for they know not what they do", and his telling John and his mother to consider each other mother and son. I also used the Ravensbruck prayer, in which the woman who wrote it never says that she forgives those who have caused the suffering of her and those around her, but asks God to consider the good that has come of suffering. Apparently, the prayer was left next to a dead child, and we don't know whether the woman was Jewish, Christian, or of another faith, but it's one of the most powerful prayers I know, and very difficult to pray. I was nearly in tears, but I think it's important to be honest about our emotions, whether we are clergy or not, and a number of people commented positively on my openness. Anyway, enough of me: here's the prayer:

"O Lord, remember not only the men and women of good will, but also those of ill will. But do not remember all the suffering they have inflicted on us, remember the fruits we have bought, because of this suffering - our comradeship, our loyalty, our humility, our courage, our generosity, the greatness of heart that has grown out of all of this, and when they come to judgement, let all the fruits we have borne be their forgiveness."

Labels: , ,


Comments:
" think it's important to be honest about our emotions, whether we are clergy or not, and a number of people commented positively on my openness"

I agree!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?