Wednesday, January 07, 2009

 

A funeral

Today I participated in my first funeral since being ordained in June last year. Taking funerals is part of ministry, and it's important that I have some experience of it. Actually, many priests/deacons who work full-time take very few, as most funerals tend to take place during the week. So, apart from families and friends, it may be that I won't be too busy with them, but I need some practice.

James took the funeral, and I did a reading and intercessions. It was very, very cold in church, and I had worries not only about my ability to cope with the emotional side of the service (particularly as it was for a 53 year old mother who had died from breast cancer), but also that I wouldn't be able to talk properly because of the cold: my teeth were actually chattering. In the end, it was fine, and I found that singing the hymns helped. I wasn't able to continue to the crematorium for the committal, as I had taken an early lunch-break to be involved, but it was a very worthwhile and humbling experience. It made me realise how just being there, being a solid focus in the service, and allowing people to work through their grief, you can minister to them. That can be all it takes. Humbling, as I said.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
:-) when I tell people that I like taking funerals they think I am crazy, but to me they ( and the visits preparation surrounding them) offer a touching place where we can hold the door open to aChristian eschatalogical hope, and both affirm the value of the deceased and comfort the bereaved.

Funerals are awesome (in the truest sense of the word). I am glad it was a positive if cold experience.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?