Tuesday, July 08, 2008

 

Women bishops: yay! Maybe another 13 years of marriage, too

Rowan Williams said: "I am deeply unhappy with any scheme or any solution to this which ends up, as it were, structurally humiliating women who might be nominated to the episcopate." The General Synod voted "for". This means that we're going to have women bishops in the Church of England. And no "super-bishops", as the BBC puts it. A Code of Practice for people who won't accept this.

Given Moo's views on this, this means that there's a decent chance that we'll manage another 13 years of marriage: we were married in King's College Chapel on the 8th July 1995. She's pleased, as am I. Oh - I meant about women bishops, though I think we're both pleased about 13 years of marriage.

This particular entry isn't going very well, but that's mainly because we're watching Series 1 of Peep Show, which I got Moo as a present. And I've been laughing too much.

Labels: , , , ,


Comments:
Happy anniversary Mike and Moo- may there be ar least 13 more years!

As for women Bishops yay!!!!
 
A very clever - if utterly dishonest -piece of spin Mike. Archbishop Rowan also said that he would be equally unhappy about any scheme that marginalised traditionalists. He said 'I would want to see a more rather than less robust form of structural provision or accommodation'.

Sadly though, the bigots on Synod, like those at Gafcon, did not heed him, preferring instead to purge the church of anyone who doesn't share their understanding. I assume you saw the (strongly pro women's consecration) Bishop of Dover's speech?

'I have to say that for the first time in my life I feel ashamed. We have talked for hours about wanting to give an honourable place for those who disagreed. We have turned down almost every opportunity for those opposed to flourish. And we still talk the talk of being inclusive and generous. ... It is not just those who are opposed to the ordination of women who find the motion we have at the moment difficult. I do. Where is the CofE about which we have spoken today? Is this CofE to which we have come to in this vote the CofE at its best? I have to say I doubt it. Is this the CofE to which I thought I belonged? I have to say with huge sadness, I doubt it.'
 
I hear what Simon is saying here with saddness and am reminded that only a few days ago Archbishop John Sentanu called for an attitude of grace. This attitude needs to be maintained at all cost.

Interestingly BBC Radio 4 correctly reported the concern of Archbishop Rowan for the traditionalists. If this is indeed his concern we would do well to listen to it.

I understand both Mike's rejoicing and Simon's saddness at the outcome of this vote. I love and value them both. We must continue to love and value one another. It is a challenge for families often disagree.
 
The saddest thing about Monday is that it really puts an end to the journey together.
Both Archbishops and many other pro-women bishops speakers (and all the 'traditionalists') made it quite clear that a code of conduct could not possibly meet the minimum needs of those of people with my understanding of Holy Orders, the theology does not add up. The majority decided that they didn't care; they smelled blood and went for the kill.
If people are not prepared to listen at all to another point of view, and are happy to deprive people of their livelihoods and homes to guarantee the 'purity' of the organisation, there is no point in trying to pretend that they are friends or brothers/sisters.

Ps 55:12-14
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?