Friday, May 25, 2007

 

Back from Sweden

...where I've been for a couple of days. Helen, from ERMC, sent me a good "Make Music to Our God: how we sing the psalms" by Reginald Box SSF. Quite interesting - not many sections about how we listen, and the transcendence of the experience, though some. Box is very much interested in how to get congregations singing the psalms - my background is more in the tradition of having only a choir singing, but he had some points, and some good ways to encourage this that I really liked.

Theologically, I can see good reasons for congregational involvement in music in worship, but I think there are also times when just listening allows for the highest quality of music to be offered to God, by a trained choir. And although lots of people find this style of worship hard to take, for many others it's a way that helps them to reach closer to God.

Labels:


Comments:
It's that eternal "is good music good worship" question...
 
I would go with both and- certainly in my case there are times when listening is as much worship as participating....in fact I would dare to say more so.

Is good music good worship? No not necessarily- but then badly played/ sung music irritates me- then again so do worship groups who think they are performers....
 
not that I'm picky or critical or anything like that.... as long as they all have stones in them worship services are good!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?