Wednesday, March 14, 2007

 

The Spirit of the Lord is upon me

This month's synchroblog is on "Altered states of consciousness", and how they relate to Christianity. In my undergraduate days, I did some interesting work on women religious (that is nuns, anchorites, etc.) in the Middle Ages, and read the excellent Holy Feast and Holy Fast: The Religious Significance of Food to Medieval Women by Caroline Walker Bynum. It talked about the possible use of fasting - and anorexia - as part of their lives, and the possibility that some visions were brought on by side effects of this. If I remember correctly, it wasn't discounting the visions, just setting them in context. This, however, is pretty much all I know on the subject. So I decided to talk from personal experience a bit. This is my blog, after all.

A bit of background on me first. I come from a liberal, medium-to-high church background. Hymns, and if we sing any "worship songs", we still call them hymns, organ and choir (when available, in both cases), not guitars. Nothing extravagant - for some people, passing the Peace is a step too far. That sort of thing. It doesn't mean that there's not true worship going on, or a very real spirituality, but it tends to be internalised. Now, I've always found music very moving, and maybe I'm being a little harsh on the tradition I come from, but there are limits. I'm _certainly_ not the sort of person to go in for visions, or voices, or any of that sort of thing. Oh, no.

Which makes it somewhat embarassing when it happens to me. Three times in my life, so far:

I would describe all of these as taking place within an altered state of consciousness, as a realisation of God's grace (not always easy - the second experience was challenging and unsettling, for instance) fell upon me. I sometimes use meditation techniques to aid my prayer-life, too. What I think I'm trying to say is that you don't have to go all "weirdy-beardy", or "charismatic" or "happy-clappy" to experience God's grace through your life. You may feel touched without any of that, and if your consciousness is altered, it's because God's changed how you think, feel, and relate to the world. The immediate feeling may wear off - for me, that's true - but hopefully the experience will act as a touchstone, and the changes that God wrought in you will be reflected in your life.

I'd just like to say that I'm not condemning in any way the "charimatic", "happy clappy", or even the "weirdy-beardy" (!), but trying to make it clear that you shouldn't reject a call or an experience just because it doesn't hit you as you expect. Nor should you be worried. Engage, analyse, if you wish, be fearful of what the experience means. But the experience can come even to "staid", "safe" - dare I say it? - "boring" Christians like me.

Synchroblog

Today is a "synchroblog" on the subject of spiritual warfare. If you've liked what you read here, or, more particularly, if you didn't, and you'd like to read some other opinions, please visit one of the other participating blogs:

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Mike I am smiling away here because I remember your face when you came into the lecture after the library experience!
You sat and grinned from ear to ear and the presence of the Holy Spirit's hand upon you was tangiable to folk sitting near you... echoes of 2 Corinthians 3:7-18 here... ( go read it).
Am I right in thinking that you'd been reading Althus-Reid at the time? Something significant there!
 
Thanks - hadn't thought of that passage!
 
Mike, Great post. Thanks for being vulnerable and sharing.
 
Well now, I *do* believe God does supernatural stuff...I mean the bible is full of wierdness. I've had a few 'happy-clappy' experiences in my journey as well, much as I feared them. I suppose I just get a bit leary of the hyperspiritual folk who are constantly living from experience to experience....and never putting feet to Jesus, as in touching the broken, feeding the poor, and those things. I do readily accept that sme are more um, how should I say, 'in the clouds'. Visions and so forth, dreams, prophetic stuff.

My experience, though, is that the more I sought personal 'manifestations', the less I thought of the poor and hurting. I suppose there's a balance somewhere....

Anyway, great post, and I appreciate your honesty!
 
Yeah, thanks for sharing
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?