Saturday, March 03, 2007

 

Africa and mission

(backposting) I really thought I wouldn't find this topic very interesting, but, on the contrary, it was fascinating. We had someone called Emma come to talk to us, and she had lots to share (as did Richard, one of the tutors on the course). The last session was on what we can learn from modern African churches, and we had some interesting discussions on dialogue, and when we should challenge - and not just "counter-challenge" for its own sake. I argued strongly that we should stand up and disagree when we find ourselves at odds with theology such as the "Prosperity Gospel" or that which Archbishop Akinola tends to espouse on homosexuality. There was some disagreement, but I think less when I explained that "challenge" meant, for me, dialogue, and not just expounding a difference of opinion.

Had discussions with Holger (afternoon) on where I am in the course, illness, etc., with Edward (late afternoon) on placements - he agrees that a hospice seems a good idea - and Helen (in the bar in the evening) on the piece of work I'm doing on music. I'm planning to meet Helen the week after next to spend some more time on this.

I've spent the time here wearing a rainbow badge and a rainbow wristband, to show LBGT (Lesbian-Bisexual-Gay-Transgender) solidarity. Several people asked about it, a couple of people asked for one (I'd brought some spares) who I wouldn't have expected to, and a couple of people I'd not have expected to be "pro-" turned out to be. I feel pleased to have stood up to be counted, and intend to continue to do so at the residentials.

As I'd had a bit of a sleep in the afternoon, I decided that I'd stay up a little later, and left the bar at 2300 or so, having watched a good deal of the lunar eclipse. Below, you'll see two pictures of ERMC students and staff (including the principal) worshipping observing the moon during her eclipse.

ERMC students observe the moon
ERMC students observe the moon - second picture

Labels: , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?