Monday, June 28, 2010

 

My first ordination - and a first Eucharist

(backposting) Yesterday I attended my first ordination as a priest. I've gone to lots before, including my own, but this was the first time that I was attending and involved in the laying on of hands. Sally, my fellow- (if you will) curate and two other people who I know a little were ordained priest in Stansted Mountfitchet Church. It was a fantastic service, and the choir sang the Hallelujah chorus after the act of ordination. I brilliant day (apart from the football afterwards, obviously.

And then, this evening, was Sally's first Eucharist. We had incense, I sang in the choir (alto, actually), read the Gospel and the whole service was amazing. I had an amazing realisation whilst I watched her during the Prayer of Consecration, she looked so human, and so priestly. She was the Everyman/EveryWoman that each priest should be, and the truth and reality of Christ as human was made so obvious to me. I felt really sad for those who can't accept women's ministry.

I've always been a proponent of women's ministry - don't get me wrong - but this was one of those flashes of realisation that make things appear so right.

When Sally and I processed out to the side-door, we had a bit of a cry on each other. Tears of absolute joy.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?