Monday, January 04, 2010

 

Equality and an ordained priesthood

(backposting) Helen asked the following (extremely good) question about yesterday's post:

The answer, I think, is that I believe that there's an assumption of equality with regard s to salvation. That doesn't mean that I don't believe there's anything special about an ordained priesthood. Or even that I don't believe that there's nothing ontologically different about an ordained priesthood. But that doesn't mean that I believe that there's anything ontologically special about the human beings (read "sinners") who are ordained as priests.

To explain somewhat, I'm very aware that priests are sinners, because we are all - as humans - sinners. But what it means to be ordained priest is to accept a charge from God - through the church - and to accept the responsibility and authority (mainly the former) that this brings. The ability to perform the duties of a priest is a charism (or set of charisms) no different in many ways from many other charisms. And it is, of course, God-given. The acceptance of the vocation to priesthood, both by the man or woman accepting it, and by the Church, is a huge responsibility. The ordination is the acceptance of this charge by the person ordained and by the Church, and the sacrament through which God endows it, is something special. But the person accepting it is, and remains, and human, a sinner, and equal with all those other humans around him and her.

Labels: ,


Comments:
Thanks Mike - that's quite close to my paradigm. Standing as I do behind the 'table' in the evangelical church I'm conscious of a train of interpretation that asserts that in a priesthood of believers, priests are unnecessary/unbiblical. That can be painful when it hobbles the work I have been called to do.
 
I find it interesting that I use the word "table" quite a lot when referring to the altar. In fact, I think I used that word at least once when I was delivering the sermon. It feels right to me: I'm very aware of the memorial aspect of Communion, and the feast that we celebrate.
 
I don't believe that the priesthood is unecessary or unbiblical, Methodist thinking is that the ordained minister is set apart from and by the priesthood of all believers for a particular service to the body of Christ.

That said other memebers are also called into different roles and have different gifts, a part of my task is to recognise, celebrate and affirm them. This is why for the covenant prayer I stepped down from behind the table and sat with the congregation. When the prayer was over I returned to the table to celebrate the Lords Supper ( we are prims).

I am interested that you both call the table a table, I would obviously, my congregation would die of shock if I called it an altar, and I wouldn't do so anyway.
 
I wrote a kind of response: here
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?