Saturday, August 22, 2009

 

Services - and hoovering

(backposting) I took two services today - both Holy Communion - one in Greenstead Green, and one in Gosfield. I preached the same sermon in both churches - or, more accurately, the same two sermons in each. I was preaching on the Gospel, John 6:56-69, where some of Jesus' disciples start to leave him, saying that his teaching is too hard. I first preached about how we have it pretty easy, and surely we have little excuse for finding living as a Christian hard. What one thing can we point to over the past week that we've done which we think is worthy of being Christian? And, after all, Peter said "to whom else can we turn?" And then I remembered that Peter was the same one who denied Jesus three times, and was then crucified. And then I thought how presumptious it was for me to tell people that they have it easy. There are many people in the world, maybe even in our pews, where people struggle not only with being Christian, but even with what it means to be human. And it's presumptious of me to suggest that I have answers for them. But Christ can help, and maybe doing one thing a week that we can point to, even when things are bad, is good in this instance, too. I've not explained it very well, but people responded well to it on both occasions, so I'm pleased.

Oh, and the hoovering. I started doing it, and then the hoover broke. How sad.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?