Sunday, July 12, 2009

 

Cricket, deacons, and the theology of Torchwood

In reverse order, then.

This week's mini-series of Torchwood has attracted a lot of interest, and lots of people I know are talking about it. It seems silly not to mine it for theological content, because it was full of it. The more obvious bits included:

How many sermons in that? It was, for my money, and intensely theological - and very thought-provoking - set of programmes. Very well done the BBC.

Deacons? Well, it was Sally's first Sunday as a deacon in the parish, and it was a joy. It made me really, really happy. Not just for her, but for me, too. I really enjoyed my deacon's year, and seeing her taking the role I've spent a year at made me feel so much part of a continuum, particularly as she's a woman. This whole "continuum" of priesthood is very powerful for me at the moment.

Last, and far from least, we managed to draw the first of the Ashes test matches. Quite how, I don't know. But I'm one of many, many England supporters who wants to marry Collingwood or Monty or Anderson or a combination of the 3. Yay!

Labels: ,


Comments:
Love the thinking on Torchwood, and am glad to see tyhat we were thinking along similar lines. Good stuff Mike.
 
Found out today that "Torchwood" is an anagram of "Doctor Who". Expect everyone else knew that, but I found it interesting...
 
James, you need help!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?