Wednesday, July 15, 2009

 

A churchy day

Not entirely, but I had a 3+ hour team ministry meeting in the morning, a spiritual direction meeting in the afternoon, and a Mother's Union Communion service in the evening (with a very enjoyable performance by the gospel group afterwards). I've also done some good job bits and pieces as well, which is always cheering.

The other thing I did was listen several times to "Bleed to love her" by Fleetwood Mac. And found a different way to listen to it. Now, I'm sure that this wasn't the intention when it was written, but what if you hear it as being sung by our Lord, and the "her" is Mary Magdalene? It's a very powerful song anyway, and provides an interesting way of thinking about Christ, the man, and desire and sexuality. Please listen to the song (it's also available on the live album "The Dance"), but here are the lyrics:

Once again she steals away
Then she reaches out to kiss me
And how she takes my breath away
Pretending that she don't miss me

Ooh, I would bleed to love her
Ooh, bleed to love her
Ooh, I would bleed to love her

And once again she calls to me
Then she vanishes in thin air
And how she takes my breath away (breath away)
Pretending that she's not there

Ooh, I would bleed to love her
Ooh, bleed to love her
Ooh, I would bleed to love her

Somebody's got to see this through
All the world is laughing at you
And somebody's got to sacrifice
If this whole thing's gonna turn out right

Ooh, I would bleed to love her
Ooh, bleed to love her
Ooh, I would bleed to love her
Bleed to love her
Bleed to love her

Labels: ,


Comments:
Interesting ways to listen to Fleetwood Mac include while putting them through a blender, and with the CD in a microwave.

This has been a message from "Alliance Against Self-Obsessed Hippies"...
 
why am I not surprised by G's response....?

but I hear what you are saying Mike, and wonder if sometimes we deny the sexuality of Jesus the man. It makes us uncomfortable... a bit like the painting at Ditchingham, far too sensual for some....

having said that we must also acknowledge that in order to give himself completely he also denied himself...

does this make the sensuality more or less powerful???
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?