Tuesday, May 12, 2009

 

Incarnational redundancy

I've got lots of things I want to blog about at the moment from a theological point of view, from more issues around authority to further thoughts on the ontological issues around self-supporting ministry. But I've got to pick one, and the issue that's consuming a fair amount of my time at the moment is redundancy. As I've blogged before, my company has just started redundancy proceedings around my job. I'm not interested in going over the whys and wherefores, nor am I looking for sympathy (though prayers are always welcome). What I'd like to start investigating are some of the theological issues around redundancy, and particularly how it affects me and other self-supporting ministers.

When I announced the fact that I was going through redundancy proceedings on Facebook, a mate of mine (also a self-supporting minister) said:

Redundancy is, oddly, part of the incarnational aspect of being Self-Supporting. It's one of those aspects of life which we SSMs share with our punters/parishioners/victims/congregations. Going Stipendiary in such circumstances would be like giving up.
He was responding to a (tongue-in-cheek) comment from another friend, who'd pointed going full-time might be an option.

He expressed very well a feeling that I'd not have been able to articulate as well at this. I know from conversations with members of my congregation that people appreciate the fact that I can speak "from the pew" as it were. I think that because I have a job and share similar issues (or more obviously similar issues) with them, there's a feeling (which I'm sure isn't always justified) that there are things I can say that match more closely with the experiences of "the people in the pews".

However unjustified those feelings are, they are true in one particular, incarnational way, as my friend identified. I run the risk of losing my job, as few parochial clergy in the Church of England do. Standing by that means standing by them, too. I feel no more called away from full-time (secular) employment than I did when I made the decision to go with self-supporting ministry. Maybe I will some day, but that day isn't yet, and it wouldn't be honest to my vocation which is expressed both within my ordained ministry and in my secular life to decide suddenly to take up full-time ministry now.

Labels: ,


Comments:
This comment has been removed by the author.
 
I found an amazing response from the House Group when I was leading, when I mentioned the time that I was made redundant. Every member of that group had been made redundant at some time, and they shared the pain, the feeling of betrayal in some cases and just plain not being wanted in others. We had a time when people were really able to share what they felt, in the context of the biblical passage that had raised my comment initially. And we covered far more ground than if we had simply discussed how much we loved Jesus.
This is how SSMs are called to share in secular and sacred. SSMs are developers, managers, teachers, nurses, redundant, job-seeking, dissatisfied, excited, movers and shakers or just plain headcount. And in a few weeks' time you and I will bring all that to the Mass and offer it back up to God.

(and apologies for the deleted post - I really should proof read first).
 
Tim would echo that feeling from Gary, being made redundant is hugely challenging and brings up all sorts od ontological issues, but it is a place of vulnerability where we find we are not alone. I believe that suffering- and this is suffering is like that- it enables us to be empathetic.

I hope I share the secular in the sacred by virtue of being human and having ordinary and extraordinary experiences of life e.g. a son whose life hangs in the balance.

Mike rest assurred my prayers are with you and for you, Moo and the girls at this time.
 
Thanks, Mike for sharing the atory in such a straightforward way - my prayers with you, for wisdom.

I find your perspective really interesting, and, in itself a sign of your calling to incarnational ministry, warts and all. C of E Stipendiary clergy have a very high degree of job security compared to everyone else, often taken for granted, and not always used as a basis for risky living near the edge. It can give rise to a certain kind of stuckness, or even complacency. But that may be to glamorize your situation.

At a time all ministries are becoming more uncertain, SSM's lead the way in exploring whatv this means, and where our security comes from. The honest charing of where you are is unlocking love and support within the community you serve. It's not impossible you could be being called out of where you are job-wise (or not) but the best course right now sounds as though it is to stick with it, using a good spiritual director, and see where it leads. Please be assured of my prayers as the journey unfolds...
 
Stipendiary clergy aren't always immune from this experience as many have worked and been made redundant before being ordained. The connection between security and accountability is soon to be made when the new Terms & Conditions come in, bringing with them capability proceedings and new disciplines (along with Common Tenure). The culture will change, albeit slowly.

But, that is not helpful when you are facing your own redundancy and the questions that throw up.

When I was a vicar in Leicestershire we ran a huge group for men in a pub. One of the best ever evenings was when the head of KPMG had a public conversation with a senior manager from industry about the responsibilities leaders carry - and the issues this throws up for Christians. They discussed making people redundant and the cost of this to all, including the one doing the deed. Out of 60 people there, over half had experience of having been made redundant.

I will pray for you and your family. Happy also to pick up this conversation further.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?