Sunday, March 15, 2009

 

Spanish

Two Spanish-related stories today. The first is that at church this morning there was a Mexican couple who it turned out were visiting Essex for their daughter's graduation for her doctorate from Essex University (sociology). They spoke some English - particularly the wife - but not huge amounts. I speak a little Spanish (understanding more than I speak), and invited them to sit next to me and Miri (Jo was at home with Moo, having been sick this morning, though she was well enough to go to a dance rehearsal in the afternoon). I managed to feed them bits of information through the service, and was particularly pleased that I managed to use my phone and The Bible Gateway to allow them to follow the Gospel reading in Spanish. They were very friendly and we had a lovely chat in Spanglish after the service over coffee, and I hope they'll be in touch by email.

The second story revolves around the TV programme "Come Dine with Me" on Channel 4. One of the contestants was using chorizo sausage in a recipe. She mispronounced the word. And then the presenter mispronounced it. At least twice. I'm thinking of starting a campaign. Look, it's really, really simple. In Italian, the letters "ch" are pronounced "c" (as in "consonant"). And the letter "z" as "ts", as in "it's". In Spanish (Castillian, at least), the letters "ch" are pronounced "ch" as in "church", and the letter "z" as "th" as in "thin".

"Chorizo" is a Spanish word. It is pronounced "Ch-o-r-ee-th-o". And NEVER, EVER, EVER, EVER "Ch-o-r-ee-ts-o". If it were Italian, it would be "C-o-r-ee-ts-o". It's not. It's Spanish. I've corrected my sister-in-law on this once, and it went very, very badly, but the truth is important. And I'm not going to let it lie. Oh, no.

Labels:


Comments:
And you have no idea how much I hate the blink tag. But I've used it because I'm not, not, not happy.
 
And why is Adsense giving me toilet signs and toilet partition signs adverts.
 
pedant....though I'm afraid you'll think that s a compliment!
 
Is it not "Shoorie-Zow" then?
 
Sally: of course.
Gary: don't even start.
 
I'm still trying to get over the new trendy lager at our club. They call it "Yatets" but it's written "Zatec". Why can't everyone pronounce things like we English? And why can't I put a "long" symbol over the vowels in Blogger?
 
Gary - if only you pronounced words properly. I suspect you pronounce "toast" as "toast", not "taste", don't you?
 
It's tricky to render a South Midlands/Cockney hybrid accurately without those lovely dictionary symbols, but I think it's "toawst" - that's with a long "o" and a Lutonian round-off half-a-double-u sound (as in the Lutonian ability to say the word "ball" without pronouncing any l sound at all).
 
Course, in Catalan it's not pronounced anything like what you said...
 
so do you spread buttah on your taste Mike?

Or like G do you prefer Marge on your toawst?

I guess I'll need lessons to render all of this into Yorkshire speak.... can you do that Mike...???
 
Sally: 'appen as mebbe.

Oh, and I'm shocked by the suggestion that I should be buttering my own toast in the first place.
 
(Not that I never let things lie, either...) - there is a suggestion that chorizo is indeed of catalan origin. If this is true then not only is your pronunciation incorrect, but you are in fact supporting cultural imperialism...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?