Sunday, March 29, 2009

 

The end of a good day

I took Jojo to Gosfield church for the team service at which I was preaching today. It's the first time that I've had either of the girls with me when I've been involved with taking a service. She did very well, and Ashley, a girl in the choir was very kind in looking after her. I was so proud, and was close to tears as I walked up to the altar with the host, having just administered the host to a member of the congregation at the back. It's difficult to explain, but it was all part the thinking I've been doing about reverence and the sacraments. It's just such a privilege to administer the elements of the Christ's body. And I've been waiting so long for Jo to be able to join me at a service, and sit next to me as I used to sit next to my father.

I preached about following Christ, and not just Jesus. I really care about this. If we just follow Jesus, we follow a man, and we deny the title that he earned by dying and rising for us. And if we call ourselves just Jesus-followers, and not Christians, then we deny the sacrifices - small and great - that others have made in the name of Christ over the ages, and that we make, and that our children will make. It is absurd to follow a man. It is maybe more absurd to follow a man who was God and man, and died, but it is right.

We went swimming in the afternoon, and Jo swam for 10m in the big pool, all on her own. I think she could have done more, if she'd wanted to, and I was proud all over again.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
"I preached about following Christ, and not just Jesus. I really care about this. If we just follow Jesus, we follow a man, and we deny the title that he earned by dying and rising for us. "

Mike you are a star.

AMEN AND AMEN!!!!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?