Tuesday, January 20, 2009

 

History

I was going to blog about my trip to Canada next month, or about being in Eindhoven today, or how work has suddenly got a _lot_ more interesting. But today is a day of history, and, like most of the blogosphere, I suspect, I can't avoid talking about that.

Hopefully, my two daughters watched at least some of the inauguration. Jo, at nearly 4, is too young to realise the importance of what has happened today, and Miri, at nearly 2, will have to be told that she was sat in front of it. What's more, I didn't want to explain to Jo why having a black man as President of the United States is such an important thing: she has maybe a few more months or years without understanding prejudice, and I'd like her to have those while she can. But it _is_ a big day, and I know I wasn't alone in wondering if Obama would survive to be sworn in. He has been, and he now faces one of the greatest challenges any American has ever faced. God be with him.

Labels: , , ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?