Saturday, December 27, 2008

 

Isaiah 6:8

I was going to provide a very short entry on how Miri managed to sleep for 2 and a half hours during the day, and then still went to sleep pretty fast tonight, but I was reading the daily evening office this evening, and the Old Testament reading was Isaiah 6:1-8. One translation reads:
Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Who shall I send? And who will go for us?" And I said, "Here am I. Send me!"*
As I was reading in an excellent book recently (which I'll review when I've finished it), few of the Old Testament prophets chose their jobs. Isaiah did, or, at least, he accepted the call. What a brave, scary thing to do. Today was the saint's day of St John the Evangelist. Yesterday of St Stephen, first martyr. They both chose, too, and things didn't end that well for either of them (well, apart from the sainthood, obviously).

One last thing: I was explaining the basic premises of the Disney film Dumbo to Jo, and telling her that one of my favourite Disney songs is "When I see an elephant fly". "It's sung by some crows," I said. "Talking crows?" said Jo, in absolute incredulity. As if, compared to flying elephants, talking crows were just a step too far.


*Actually, this is the NIV translation, with correction. The original reads "Whom shall I send", but "whom" is correct only for the dative, so I've correct it to "who". Or should that be to "whom"?

Comments:
NIV Mike??? tut tut... how evangelical of you....
 
Not evangelical enough, if I'm correcting their translations!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?