Thursday, December 18, 2008

 

initrd

Today I've mostly been working on init ram disks, or initrd. This is how you boot up Linux machines, and usually you get it all sorted from whoever makes your distribution. Why would you want to make your own? Well, if you wanted to use capabilities of a system which aren't usually available at boot time, like some of the clever crypto stuff.

It turns out to be more difficult to get it all sorted than you might think. And then you think you have, and you haven't. It has, however, been a voyage of discovery, and worth a _great_ deal of geek points, particularly given what I'm trying to do with it, so I'm pleased. It's been slow steps throughout the day, but I got to the stage around 9pm when I was beginning to delete important files by accident, so decided that I'd better stop.

Labels: ,


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?