Sunday, December 07, 2008

 

Back to church

I didn't get to church last Sunday, as I was ill, so it was lovely to be back today. I deaconed at the 0800, at which James presided. We had 3 in the congregation, but "where 2 or 3 are gathered together in my name..." It makes no difference: Christ's there.

After that we took the girls swimming, and in the afternoon we all went to the Christingle service at St Andrew's, Halstead. It's come to my attention that not everyone knows what a Christingle service is, but you can find some resources from the Children's Society by following the link. Basically, there's a service which revolves round the children in the congregation having a lit candle each, with the candle (the Light of the World) placed in an orange (the World), surrounded by a red ribbon or tape (the Blood of Christ) and with four sticks stuck into the orange, with sweets and dried fruit stuck on them (God's gifts to the world/the 4 seasons).

I was preaching, and invited the children to the front: "Sometimes during family services like this we have people moving around. Now, I'm going to be _very_ cross indeed if there are any adults moving around at all. On the other hand, I'm going to need some help, so it would be great if the children could come to the front to do that." I had fun, and I think the kids did, too. And Jo came and sat with me at the front of the church for the end of the service for the first time. I was so happy.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
sounds great, I hope no grown-ups moved!!!

I'm leading and preaching at a Christingle for our local school next week, I've led that service for the last 5 years, last one here... kind of sad really!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?