Sunday, June 29, 2008

 

Ordained. And out

I've made some great friends on the retreat: Chris, Sally, Neil, Paul, Geoff and Chris all spring to mind. I've rediscovered some friendships: Sue, Iain, Mandy and Terry particularly. And made more that I hope to explore in the next few years. After a last service in the morning and breakfast, we all got ready and the Colchester and Bradwell area ordinands headed off to Chelmsford Cathedral. I met Dad and Mum, and Moo turned up in good time for the sponsors' rehearsal/training thing. And after getting all vested up in cassock and surplice, stole ready to go, it was time to start.

The service was joyful. Just full of joy. Great singing, lots of grinning from me, and a few tears after the actual ordination (from me, that is: Kate, my mother-in-law, cried pretty much throughout). The actual laying on of hands was very powerful for me. Heavy, really heavy hands. But more than that. I closed my eyes and there was a great depth. Not an emptiness, but a great depth. I need to reflect on this, but it was very powerful for me.

And then I was wearing a stole, across my body, over my left shoulder, which is how a deacon wears it. And I received the host from the Bishop of Chelmsford, and the wine from the Bishop of Colchester, my area bishop, which was a particular privilege.

Now I'm a deacon.

We had a meal at home, and it was fantastic to see the girls: they were both so pleased to see me, as well. Mike in a clerical shirt and collar

And out

About three years ago, I was told very firmly that until I was ordained, I should keep quiet abut a couple of issues. These are: I was ordained today, and the gloves come off. For regular readers of this blog and my friends , this is may be pretty clear already, but here's a statement or two.

I am disgusted that women cannot occupy every position in the Church of England that men can.

I believe that sexuality should have no impact on the treatment of any man or woman, whether lay, deacon, priest, bishop or archbishop.

I intend to campaign on these issues. I intend to engage with those who hold different views. And I hope to do so in love and respect. But this is where I stand. God help me.

(Oh, and this post is for Moo. My love).

Labels: , ,


Comments:
Well done Mike- so glad you feel able to speak out at last :-).
 
Like you hadn't guessed!
 
... I love the photo btw!
 
Nice to actually meet you in the flesh!
 
Huge congratulations Father Bursell!
 
Warmest congratulations, Mike - you have worked extremely hard for this, and it's clear how much it means to you. Well done.
 
WELL DONE & CONGRATULATIONS!!
It was great to see your picture.. and as for the cake.. I'm sure it was scrummy! Best wishes from Paul, Sonia & Dottie the Newf in deepest Cornwall.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?