Saturday, March 15, 2008

 

Religious awareness

After a trip to Freeport this morning (our old teapot had fallen apart from overuse), and lunch, Simon, one of Jo's godparents, came round and he, she, Miri and I went to Clare Country Park with her bike. We had a lovely time, and Jo clicked really quickly with Simon this time, which was great for both of them.

When we came back, we were chatting with Moo in the kitchen, and à propos of nothing, Jo suddenly declaimed to Simon: "At Nana's, we're going to have an Easter Egg hunt. And we'll be happy, because Jesus will be alive!".

I have to say that I'm rather pleased with this. She connected the two, got the important one exactly right, and got a big hug from me. Just over 3 years old: go, girl!

Oh - the other day, we were going through the Wippell's catalogue which I'd picked up at the last ERMC weekend. Jo did things like identify that the chalices and patens were for the bread and the wine, and we were deciding which of the chalices on a particular page she would like (the gold one), when she came out with: "when I'm a bit older, I can be a priest, and we can buy a chalice". Babe: when you're a bit older, you can be an archbishop...

Last of all, on Thursday, I had the following discussion with her:

me: I'm going for lunch with a priest today
Jo: is it a nice person?
note - good marks for gender awareness
me: she is very nice: she's called Viv.
Jo: will she be wearing clothes?
Mel (who was there) and I lost it at this point
me: do you mean priest clothes?
Jo: yes
me: I don't know...
Viv, for the record, was very amused. Oh, and was wearing clothes.

Labels: ,


Comments:
:-) Go Jo
 
You should get a silver chalice, not a gold one. This is for hygienic reasons. Silver is somehow effective in preventing the transmission of disease - a study was done in the 1940's, I can't find it any more - it was actually linked on the front page in pdf format from one of the continuing Anglican congregations in the US.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?