Tuesday, January 29, 2008

 

Queer temporalities

(backposting) I went to a talk at the Computer Lab today, and popped into the UL. An old college mate, Jason, had said that he'd been looking into queer temporalities: I said it sounded interesting, and he suggested looking at No Future: Queer Theory and the Death Drive. Without going too technical, and given that I've only just started reading it, it seems to be about refactoring society without the false bias towards "the Child" (an imagined and impossible future politic, based on the heterosexual assumptions and drives - death drives) of a false past. And that's the non-technical. It takes a negative view of reproductive futurities, and seems to be taking a very deconstructive approach, talking about using queerness to challenge this oppressive futurity. Anyway, it's very interesting so far, and I'm already thinking about theological - Christian - readings which challenge the assumptions about the futurity "required" by the society we live in.

It's early days, but I'm not convinced we need to have this static construction of the "Child": one of the great benefits (and I use the term in a semi-technical sense) of Christ's incarnation is that he is both Child and Crucified Lord. I'll see if this works as I read more of the book.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?