Sunday, October 07, 2007

 

Infant Communion

I've never felt even vaguely happy about infant communion. Although I realise that there's an argument to say that it's good to involve children early on, and not to leave them out of a particular part of the service, but I've always taken the view that you shouldn't be taking communion until you're of an age to understand the seriousness and importance of what it's about.

I was reading Jo some stories from the excellent My Very First Bible today. We'd done Jesus in the storm (twice), the hole in the roof (once), and Jo wanted another story, so I read the Passion narrative and then finished with the Resurrection. When we got to the Last Supper, I read along the lines of "Jesus shared bread and wine with his friends, and told them to do the same to remember him."

Jo said, "you have bread and wine, don't you?" I said, "yes." And then she said, "but you don't share it with me, do you? I have a biscuit, don't I?"

She knows that she can't have the bread and the wine, but if she's patient, after a service, she can have a biscuit with the coffee/tea afterwards. I've tried very hard to make it clear that the biscuits aren't an equivalent, or alternative, and I think she gets that. What was heart-breaking was the tone with which she accepted that I don't share the bread and the wine with her. She really understands sharing and how important it is. It's a really difficult thing for a toddler, but she's getting quite good at doing it with Miri and with us: sometimes she'll even offer us her food if she really likes it. And I really believe that she understood the importance of Jesus sharing the bread and the wine with his friends. She made the leap from that to the Eucharist service completely on her own, and I was astonished. And heart-broken.

I have some serious thinking to do about my theology of the Eucharist. "Out of the mouths of babes and sucklings...": Matthew 21:16.

Labels: , ,


Comments:
I am happy to allow children to participate in the Eucharist if they voice a desire to do so, childrens understanding of the elements as shared by Jesus can be both simple and profound. I think we should all be challenged about our understanding on a regular basis...
we do kind of have confirmation within Methodism, but do have an open tabl with little ones if parents are happy that their children understand I am happy ...gonna be a shocking minister me!!!
 
P.S bright girl Jo!
 
So to what extent do you have to understand the theology of the What do we do about people who have learning difficulties and might never appreciate what it means in an intellectual sense?
 
Good point Gary! Do we include or exclude Mike?
 
I'd be careful of throwing stones given the glass house of gibberish I managed to write yesterday morning...
I'll put it down to needing to get to a meeting.
Normal fussy service will be resumed as soon as possible.
 
Beautiful - very sweet and nicely thought-out. I made my first communion as a Catholic when I was 6; it was one of the most moving things I can remember. I was prepared for it by classes on Saturday mornings for about a year, and had "done" Confession a few months before. (I'm a Pagan now though)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?