Wednesday, August 29, 2007

 

Paul conflicted

Just had a really, really weird thought. As regular readers of this blog will know, I've read, enjoyed and been very challenged by some of Marcella Althaus-Reid's work. And, under the influences of the past week's work on postmodernity, I'm sure, I suddenly thought: "what if we try reading Paul as the voice of a woman forced to travel, preach and teach under a man's identity?". Hmmm. Makes the pseudo-Pauline stuff particularly interesting, I suspect.

Really need to think hard about this, but I feel that it's probably a worthwhile thought experiment, if only because it will force me to rethink my view of Paul and his (her...?) identity as revealed through the Epistles. Thoughts welcome.

Labels: ,


Comments:
fascinating thinking there Mike, I hope you blog more on this as you ponder the possibilities!
 
And what about if the apostle Peter were actually an anteater, forced to pretend to be a human being? It would throw light on the food-law debate for starters, and maybe we could start to understand the Epistle to the Echidnas...

Are you sure you didn't really get this idea from the stoning in Life of Brian?
 
Gary -

The stoning scene did occur to me...
 
cynic Gary- keep thinking Mike...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?