Monday, August 06, 2007

 

Becoming a Reader

I had a very interesting chat - which turned into lunch and a drink - with Jane, an ex-Church Army officer who's about to start training to be a Reader. We got on extremely well, and seem to be coming from pretty similar places. It was a very illuminating conversation, and I look forward to more chats.

We talked about a number of things that will stay confidential, but of particular interest were her reasons for deciding on becoming a Reader, rather than considering Ordination. I won't go into the details, but she told me one of the best pieces of advice that she has ever received. I think it's OK to quote it, and it sums up quite a lot of my philosophy as well: "God's gift to you is common sense: so why aren't you using it?"

Labels:


Comments:
Interesting chat...
 
Um, yes. What am I missing?
 
When I became a Reader my bishop kept pressing me to be ordained as a deacon. Now I am a deacon he keeps urgin me to be ordained as a priest. I've said that when there are two deacons in every parish in the diocese I will think about it.

But on most Sundays as I function as a Reader, not as a deacon. And I believe my ministry really should be training people in isolated mission congregations to be readers, something that as a priest I could not do, because if a priest visits them at all, he would not be doing readers services.

There are many ministries in the church, and by treating priests as if they were the only ministry, we cripple it.
 
Steve -
I think you're absolutely right: we need to accept the vocation that we feel, and defend that if necessary. There's the balance of ensuring we keep ourselves open to God's voice through other people, but I embrace Jane's calling, mine, and yours as equal, but different.
 
There are many ministries in the church, and by treating priests as if they were the only ministry, we cripple it.

well said Steve, it is one of my favourite soap-box topics.... don't get me started...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?