Saturday, March 10, 2007

 

SecondLife

After reading an interesting article in The Tablet (the UK's Roman Catholic weekly) suggested by Keith, I decided a couple of days ago to go back into SecondLife, which I've not visited recently. The article lambasted the use of online communities as a direct challenge to the ecclesia of Christians in the real world (or "IRL", as I'd put it). This hasn't been my experience of SecondLife, where I've found real community - and Christian support - and I wanted to see if that was still the case.

In fact, there's more Christianity evident than when I was last there, including a group of Anglicans, a "Chaplain's Corp", and several churches. There's sometimes some robust theological debate too - and it's interesting to join in. So, I'm going to participate when I can - unluckily it's often late by UK time, but we'll see how it goes.

Labels: ,


Comments:
That's IRL as opposed to IVRS ("In a very real sense")?
 
G'day Mike,

My interactions with Second Life have been wonderfully positive. What is challenging is the lack of clear structures and guidelines, eg. at present their is no Anglican Church to attend per say. In this sense it is a pioneer ministry and as such the potential is as big as the difficulties.

I would be interested in reading the Tablet article. I was unable to locate it on the site, could you provide an exact URL?

Thanks,

Mark Brown
Arkin Ariantho (in Second Life)
 
Mark -

I found it here: http://www.thetablet.co.uk/articles/9228/
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?