Monday, March 26, 2007

 

Same sex blessings

There's a good article in the Cam magazine about the (long) history of being gay in Cambridge. It's the UK's most gay-friendly university, and Moo and I were discussing over supper how many gay friends we had at college, and how things seem to be continuing to improve. One of the issues I'll have to come to terms with will be whether, when I'm ordained, I'll consider blessing same-sex couples. Currently, the rules are that for Church of England priests, you're allowed to pray with single sex couples, but not bless them. You're allowed to bless animals, buildings, places, but not people in a loving relationship if they're of the same sex. This is really hard. Something to discuss with one's bishop, peers and community.

Labels:


Comments:
Interesting- I am allowed to bless a same sex couple as a Methodist Minister as long as the "cermony" s not conducted within a chuch buildng- it is a matter of conscience for me and not for the church as a whole!
 
The issues over homosexuality can boggle the mind. I would much rather invest my time & energy trying to treat everyone (including homosexuals) with love and respect. This requires a sense of humor and perspective. I try to offer this in my recent blog - "I'm OK, You're All Gay". Check it out & tell me what you think.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?