Monday, February 12, 2007

 

Christians: choosing who to love

I'd hoped to spend some time on this, but as readers of entries passim will realise, I'm not at all well (update below), so I'm going to keep it short.

My intention had been to write from two directions:

  1. as Christians, we don't get to decide who we should love: we're supposed to love everyone (including ourselves). This includes people of whom we may not approve - and I'm thinking in particular of gay, bisexual or lesbian people. And gay, bisexual or lesbian Christians, too.
  2. we should maybe realise that other people don't get to decide who they love, either: and I'm thinking in particular of gay, bisexual or lesbian people. And gay, bisexual or lesbian Christians, too. God made each of us the way we are, and we must remember that Jesus told us to "love your neighbour as yourself", which means that we must realise that people must love the selves that God made them.
I'm not going to be drawn into the "paedophile debate": that's not about love, as it's not reciprocal, and is entirely about abuse. I'm talking about good, honest, human (and, through Christ's incarnation, divine) love.

Sorry to be blunt - I expect comments (though I may delay responding to them all until I'm rather better).

Synchroblog

Today is a "synchroblog" on the subject of spiritual warfare. If you've liked what you read here, or, more particularly, if you didn't, and you'd like to read some other opinions, please visit one of the other participating blogs:

Update

For those of you with an interest, I'm definitely still ill. Got around 2 hours of sleep last night, woke up with a temperature and alternate shakes/sweats. Doc gave me antibiotics and the week off.

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
I have a friend who counsels 'sexual deviants' and other criminals.

He says that whether homosexuality is right or wrong, there is a distinct difference in the brain patterns between a homosexual/bi-sexual (which has brain wave patterns in that area similiar to hetrosexual) and those of a pedophile, rapists, etc, whos brain functions very diffently.

Interesting stuff.
 
well said Mike- if blunt-it was your comments about the need to love ourselves that sparked of my post- thanks.
Take care of yourself and Moo, rest and get well.
Peace and blessings
Sally
 
Thanks for pressing through and getting some thoughts out - you touch on the challenging border of many people's love for others. This where we discover whether we really do love like Jesus.
When it comes to loving ourselves I know that God loves me completely and unconditionally, but I also know that there are things about me that need to change, and that he loves me enough to walk with me and work on them.
 
Thanks Mike. Couldn't agree more. Until we can learn to love indiscriminately it ain't agape. :)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?