Friday, January 12, 2007

 

Triumph of respect over intolerance

As you'll see on the Stonewall story, earlier this week, the Lords (the House of Lords, part of the UK's government) threw out the suggestion that the Bill to enforce equal rites for homosexuals should be amended. The amendments were basically to allow those people who don't approve of the sexual practices of certain people to discriminate against them. (Not, in my view, quite the way Jesus (known as "the Christ") would have behaved). It shouldn't be assumed that all Christians were for the amendments, as many protested against.

I'm hugely relieved and happy. I don't really have much more to say than that: that's where I stand. I'm happy to engage with people who disagree...

Labels: , , ,


Comments:
This Christian is with you Mike... this comment makes my blood boil:

"Rod Lewis, a pastor from Staffordshire, said: "[The law's supporters] propose that children in primary school should have government-recommended literature that homosexuality is an OK lifestyle. I'm not against homosexuals, I'm against the influence of young minds"

... and what of the numerous children on the march... how were they being influenced???
 
This one is not (but then you knew that!)

how were they being influenced? Properly.
 
OK Simon- but I guess I would argue the sanity of taking children on protest marches- especially on subjects they cannot fully understand!
 
Well I'm glad it went through. All we want is to be treated like everyone else - to be able to go to a pub, for a meal in a restaurant, to stay in a hotel, without being thrown out for being the people God made us.

As for young minds - my two girls have grown up to be intelligent, articulate, well balance and most definately heterosexual young people who judge others by how they live not who they live with.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?