Tuesday, January 30, 2007

 

Personal assessment - and back to work

So, get the first of these out of the way first: I went back to work today, a day before I had to, but felt much better, and it was good to be back. Had a meeting in Cambridge, and afterwards took a colleague around King's, including the chapel. Nowhere feels more like home.

I was hoping to start writing my personal assessment for the year. This is an important document, as it goes to my DDO and bishop. I'm not going to do it tonight, actually, as I'm tired and we're up early tomorrow (Moo's off to Birmingham for the day). I've made some notes. I've included them (unedited), as I'm trying to use this blog as an open and honest way to reflect on my journey. The growing importance of this blog, and how I use it, along with the realisation of how central music is to my experience of the divine, give these subjects pride of place at the top of the page.

Personal assessment headings and topics

Music and me
Blog
Pastoral
Calling on others for help
Suggestion that I should have some counselling training
Impact of having to provide pastoral care, keeps happening – a calling?
Learning to listen
Spiritual
Asking for prayer, and accepting when offered
Grounded by regular offices, particularly when tired and/or travelling
Realisation of the importance of music to my spirituality
Being touched by the Spirit
Being a father and husband
Humility, importance of the dominical commandments
Academic – and grounded in reality
Engaging with contemporary theological and sociological issues, including syncretism, sexuality and women's roles.
How communities grow online, and what we can do to help.
ERMC & parish
Breadth of worship at ERMC
Variety of traditions
Lively debate
Moving higher "up the candle" – about respect and reverence
Confidence
Preaching – finding a voice
Leading
Difficult areas
Holding back, reining in
Death and dying – but actually, the pastoral comes astonishingly easily to me
Placements
Not yet arranged– mental health...
After ordination
Music
Difficult – parish life, the day-to-day. Self-supporting: what does that mean?
Academic involvement – but in the social (Inclusive Church & Changing Attitude?)

Labels: ,


Comments:
what a challenging list- good though- so much room for growht- and I hope you see the affirmation of who you are and why you are called!
Glad you're feeling better....
btw- prayers always with you.
 
you know I meant growth... typo fingers again!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?