Friday, December 08, 2006

 

Reactions to comments

My thanks to Simon and Sally for their comments on my previous two posts. I'm not sure that I was sufficiently clear in the first of them that one of things that I was trying to address was the tendency that we have as Christians to criticise and try to lead people away from things. This is particularly the case, I suspect, with our children.

On the more recent post, about "true love", Simon made the excellent point that God-given relationships can be abused as well. He added:

In human relationships duties to god and society can be put to one side in the intensity of our emotions. Unless God is allowed fully into the relationship as a participant - not just as a founder - it is not 'true love'
I like this thought. There's a responsibility on us to nurture what God has given us, and to be active in his gifts. But I'd also said that it's not necessary even to have a knowledge of God in order to do this - or even to accept his gifts in the first place. We, as Christians (or Jews, or Muslims, or ...) can acknowledge God's gift in the relationships that non-believers have, even if they won't. It's realities like this that make it difficult for me to understand why some people don't see agency of the Holy Spirit in non-believers, and therefore that the God can work through society, even where some - or the majority - of its members aren't Christian.

Comments:
You say- "There's a responsibility on us to nurture what God has given us, and to be active in his gifts."

I'd like to add to this thought Mike- I believe there is a responsibility on us to discern where God is working- especially where non- Christians are concerned. I question why so many Christians find it necessary to critisise and condemn rather and as you say "try to lead people away from things" Is it fear that causes us to withdraw into our own spiritual ghettos?... I guess we are back to the otherising of people again!!!

The questions this raises are those of how we relate to God when we find her in the other, and how we retain an inclusive attitude when faced with the uniqueness of Jesus and his assertion that he is the way the truth and the life.

We inhabit the gaps again I guess....
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?