Thursday, October 26, 2006

 

Wing Commander Walter Gibb

(backposting) Walter Gibb was a great uncle of mine, of whom I was very fond. He died a couple of weeks ago, and I was more affected than I'd expected. He felt like my last link with Poppa (my maternal grandfather, and last remaining grandparent, who died several years ago - Major R. Peter D. Gibb). His (Walter's) obituary appeared in the Telegraph today. He was quite a guy - and there were quite a few things I didn't know about there. We'd talked quite a lot about his time in the war and also his career as a test pilot, but not about the altitude records, for instance. I last saw him at Jim and Nina's wedding, and we'd had a lovely talk the night before. Fascinating guy.

I spent a fair amount of time playing with a couple of demos of games that I got on a demo CD yesterday from Tux Games: Uplink and X2. Actually, I downloaded the former from their website after it was suggested to me at the show. X2 is very much like Elite - including the controls, and even the docking and cargo scoop. I can see myself buying it at some point.

Moo was late back from Birmingham, as expected, and I put Jo to bed. Took longer than expected, though she was tired: was up a couple of times, but was OK in the end.


Comments:
I'm deeply impressed by your great uncle's obituary, Mike - you and your family have every reason to be proud. Personally, I consider his wartime achievements even more meritorious than his altitude record - evidently quite a man.

Hope to catch up with you tomorrow, by the way.
 
What an interesting man your Great Uncle was- being me I looked up the sailing club where he was president there are a couple of good photographs in the News Letter- an uncanny resemblance Mike! ( in a few years anyway!!!)
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?