Sunday, September 10, 2006

 

Another nap

Ooh, it's such a luxury, but I really did need it. I took a long time to get to sleep last night, and then was up with Jo in the middle of the night. A real success, though, as I did manage to get her to sleep again. Anyway, I had a nap before lunch, at the same time as Jo. And Moo took one, too. We'd all been swimming in the morning, so why not?

I'd gone to the 0800 Holy Communion at Great Yeldham, only to discover the church empty, but warm! We've finally got decent heating installed, and although I had the wrong time for a service (I went to the 0830 Tilbury-juxta-Clare instead, in the end), it was so good to know that we can welcome people into a warm space this winter. It's been a real turn-off, I think, and I hope it'll make a big change in our ability to bring people to worship.

In the afternoon, after a quick trip to the garden centre to get some more crushed slate for the garden (we - well I - had underestimated majorly yesterday), I took Jo in the backpack to Ridgewell Airfield. I'd noticed WWII jeeps, etc. outside, and a notice saying that the museum (which I didn't even know existed) was open. We walked across the fields and got there just in time for a very moving little ceremony to unveil and bless a memorial to the British service men and women (from 90th squadron (Stirlings) and 94th and 95th Maintenance Units (bomb disposal)) who'd served there during and after the war. There's been a US memorial there for a while, but nothing for the local forces. We say "O God, our help in ages past" and "Abide with me", and a piper played at the end. Jo behaved fantastically well for a little one for the service, which was over half an hour, and got a biscuit from the little museum for her troubles.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?