Monday, August 14, 2006

 

Defending the Transcendental Model

Sally challenged me to defend a model which I felt was closer to me than the countercultural, which I distrust. None of the models presented resonates perfectly for me: However, I've chosen to defend the transcendental model, which might surprise some people who know me. It was a toss-up between this and the anthropological, both of which have their attractions. But the recognition of revelation's relevance to others, as it is situated in a cultural and community context, works for me. I'd situate it in the context of tradition as well, and that's where it can be powerful.

I have a suspicious relationship with revelation, as I have suspicions about "personal relationships with Jesus", but have to admit to revelatory experiences of my own: I'm very much able to relate that to my understanding of tradition and scripture, though, so that's why I'm happy to defend this model. It's also why I think that Gary's defense of the Translational model actually betrays a possible transcendental bent. Sorry for having painted him as a possible counterculturalist before!


Comments:
Goodness me Mike- we find ourselves drawn to the same models when it come down to it, like you I would have to stand somewhere between the Anthropological and Transcendental Models!

Who'd have thought that!
 
This has been a most illuminating and thorough discussion on the topic. Please feel free to complete the end of tutorial questionnaire at http://www.niknewark.co.uk/archives/2006/08/eleven_question.php
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?