Friday, July 07, 2006

 

Still posh

Sally raised some interesting issues about class. I think that part of the issue is that the church is keen to ensure that those who are ordained are well educated theologically. Until recently, that meant that they they had at least a partly academic background. These days, self-education - or mature education - is considered acceptable, and some of the people from my diocese in my year have little formal education. Of course, education is (typically, though not always) an indicator of class, so there's your link.

We went to see Jo, Moo's Nana, today. She's much better than I'd expected, though she still has a broken wrist and leg. Her mind, however, seems to be very much there - which is an improvement over earlier in the week, when she was apparently rather confused. I do hope she gets fully better - the challenge is the physical, not the mental or the psychological, I think.

After getting broadband sorted yesterday, decided to upgrade Kate's machine, and had an utter nightmare. Spent several hours, in the end, trying a variety of approaches. What finally worked was the Ubuntu Dapper net-install CD. All seems to work now, which an immense relief.

Jo's been a star all day, and behaved very well indeed in the hospital. We're currently all being very surprised by how often she's asking for a "wee-wee", and then holding on until she's on the potty.


Comments:
well done jo!!!
also how sad that good education is still an indicator of class- sad but true, and we should be well trained but I sense that some very gifted folk on our course are struggling and they feel defeated by the accademics... I feel like I stand in a strange inbetween place as far as class education etc
some my own making through bad life choices but still
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?