Sunday, July 09, 2006

 

Marsupials

(backposting) Not up too early today, which was good, and I determined to take Jo to church, to give Moo some time on her own to do with as she would. I took the car out to the local parish church (Letheringham) at around 0835, to discover that I'd missed the benefice communion at 0830, but that there was a family service (all ages) at Monewden at 1000, combined with Dallinghoo (or Dalling Hoo, depending on the signpost). Popped to Wickham Market and got a Sunday paper, and also checked out the options for church there. There was an 1100 Morning Worship with testimonies advertised - not really my bag, though it's something that I have some experience with from ERMC - but the 1000 seemed to make more sense.

So, I turned up at St Mary's, Monewden, at around 0950 (it was rather more difficult to find that I'd expected). Silence. No cars. No people. I took Jo out of the car, and into the church. Nothing. So I decided that "combined with Dallinghoo" must mean _at_ "Dalling Hoo" (or DallingHoo). I got instructions, and drove over there post haste. Got there a little before 1010. Silence. No cars, no people. I took Jo out of the card, and into the church. Yup, you've guessed it: nothing. So, I brought Jo back to the cottage (Moo said "God doesn't seem to want you to go to church today"), and both Jo and I went to sleep, which we really needed.

Once we got up, we had some lunch, and then headed to Sutton Hoo, near Woodbridge. It was rather good: better than I'd expected, certainly. Jo got a little bored towards the end, but seemed keen to cuddle the representation of the dead Anglo-Saxon in the main part of the exhibition. She was also very sweet about sheep as we walked round.

She went down much, much easier tonight, and Moo and I had a lovely evening together. I managed to get Lotus Notes working again with Crossover Office (it had stopped working when I subscribed to the full version, but renaming usp10.dll did the trick...), so all was well with the world.

On a side issue, Moo was looking out of the window of th cottage today and called me over: "what's that?" she asked. I had a quick look: "A wallaby," I answered. To be fair, I really didn't know, but it was a too big for a rabbit, didn't look like a deer, and I thought I saw a long tail. She didn't believe me, but I assured her that there are colonies of wallabies around the country (there are).

It moved then. Tricky buggers, those large hares.


Comments:
We have local wallabies round here. A Northants vicar had a bit of a shock when he hit one recently: http://212.58.226.30/1/hi/england/4160368.stm
I saw one sitting on the grass verge at Cranfield back in the winter.

Welcome back!
 
The article on Stephen Trott contained a link to this one: http://212.58.226.30/1/hi/england/2632461.stm. It amused me that it described wallabies as going "as fast as a hare". How fast do hares go then? Fast as a badger? We townies need a decent point of reference. Fast as a milkfloat? A Kia Picanto? A Ferrari?
 
Answers...
 
Moo said "God doesn't seem to want you to go to church today"), and both Jo and I went to sleep, which we really needed.- wise wise lady your wife, sometimes we try hard to do the right thing- and get it all wrong!
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?