Thursday, June 22, 2006

 

George Herbert poems

Here are a couple of poems for Sally. The first reminds us that calling can be - and probably should be - a two-way process. I tend to sing it at weddings quite a lot. The second reminds us that however much we rail against our lot, and what we're called to do, that God's just there, waiting, biding his time for us to listen and be ready. The "collar" is a pun on "choler", meaning "anger"...

The Call

Come, my Way, my Truth, my Life:
Such a Way, as gives us breath:
Such a Truth, as ends all strife:
Such a Life, as killeth death. Come, my Light, my Feast, my Strength: Such a Light, as shows a feast: Such a Feast, as mends in length: Such a Strength, as makes his guest. Come, my Joy, my Love, my Heart: Such a Joy, as none can move: Such a Love, as none can part: Such a Heart, as joyes in love.

The Collar

    I STRUCK the board, and cry'd, No more.  
                        I will abroad.  
    What? shall I ever sigh and pine?  
My lines and life are free; free as the rode,  
    Loose as the winde, as large as store.          
          Shall I be still in suit?  
    Have I no harvest but a thorn  
    To let me bloud, and not restore  
What I have lost with cordiall fruit?  
                        Sure there was wine   
      Before my sighs did drie it: there was corn  
          Before my tears did drown it.  
    Is the yeare onely lost to me?  
          Have I no bayes to crown it?  
No flowers, no garlands gay? all blasted?   
                        All wasted?  
    Not so, my heart: but there is fruit,  
                        And thou hast hands.  
          Recover all thy sigh-blown age  
On double pleasures: leave thy cold dispute   
Of what is fit, and not; forsake thy cage,  
                        Thy rope of sands,  
Which pettie thoughts have made, and made to thee  
    Good cable, to enforce and draw,  
                        And be thy law,   
    While thou didst wink and wouldst not see.  
                        Away; take heed:  
                        I will abroad.  
Call in thy deaths head there: tie up thy fears.  
                        He that forbears   
          To suit and serve his need,  
                        Deserves his load.  
But as I rav'd and grew more fierce and wilde  
                        At every word,  
    Me thoughts I heard one calling, Childe:   
              And I reply'd, My Lord.

Comments:
Thanks Mike. Will come back and read these properly tomorrow...
Just got in from Sheffield- so tired... good day though!
 
But as I rav'd and grew more fierce and wilde
At every word,
Me thoughts I heard one calling, Childe:
And I reply'd, My Lord.

what can I say....
 
Sally - I love reading this poem: I'd love the opportunity to read it to you at some point.
 
I would like that, can't promise to stay in one piece... it is an amazing poem, I read it through three times to make sure I was reading it well, not one I have heard before I think...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?