Thursday, April 27, 2006

 

Another long day

Started off feeling fine, and went to deliver the training which was the reason I'd been flown over in the first place. That went fine, though by the end I was feeling a little ropey. Had a nice meal with the two folks I was training: Chinese food, but easy on the spicy bits, then headed to Shim Lim Square, which is an electronics boutique heaven. Didn't actually buy anything this time, apart from a phone cover for Peter, who managed to break (one of) his a while ago.

By the time I made it to the exhibition that Martin and Peter were attending, I was really feeling pretty awful. Met Andrew, my contact from last time, there, and his company are keen for me to go over to Australia in June. Frankly, I'm not going if I have to go in economy. I've had enough of it, and the flight to Singapore was bad enough.

The show finished at 1730, and I had to wait for nearly an hour for a contact from the training, who kindly offered to drive me to the airport. I'd have gone on my own, but I'd left my bags, and my bags had my passport, etc.. By the time I got to the airport, I was feeling really crappy. Changed into travelling clothes, and went to ask for an upgrade. To be fair, I think they probably would have given me one had there been any going, but the flight was pretty full already with people from the original flight (from Melbourne, I think), and there weren't any to be had, even for a sob story such as mine. And not even any bulkhead seats: I was lucky to get an aisle seat. So, after I'd phoned home to Moo, I checked through security, found the chapel/prayer room, knelt down, and a had a good old long cry. I stayed there for nearly an hour, sitting, kneeling, even lying prostrate, sometimes crying, sometimes praying, sometimes thinking, sometimes on my own, sometimes with one or more other people, listening to their quiet prayers and "Allah Akbar"'s. I even had a little bit of a sleep, but decided that if was going to do that, I ought to go to the gate.

So, feeling a little bit more settled, I headed off, sat down by the gate, and slept for a bit. Bought some gin to take home - nice cheap Bombay Sapphire, which I'll enjoy when I'm up for enjoying anything to drink again - and finally onto the plane.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?