Wednesday, February 01, 2006

 

Back from Germany

Woke up at 5am local (4am UK), and didn't get to sleep. This was very dull. So I finished Cobweb, by Neal Stephenson and Frederick George. I really like Stephenson's work - he's probably my favourite author at the moment, and the other book he wrote with George (though published under a pseudonym), "Interface", is also excellent. This one's about the lead-up to the First Gulf War, and a (fictional, one hopes) plot to do with WMD's on US soil. It gave an interesting view of politics within different agencies within the US administration.

While in Singapore, I read Stamping Butterflies by Jon Courtenay Grimwood. I'm a big fan of Grimwood's, usually, but this one, though gripping, didn't quite hang together for me. Felt a little like he was trying to do a Iain M. Banks, jumping forwards and backwards, and although the resolution did clear things up quite well, the whole just didn't convince. I'm also rereading a couple of Melissa Scott books at the moment, which is a treat.

The meeting went well, and I got home around 1930, having slept on the flight to Heathrow (I'd flown out of Stansted, so had a car back home).


Comments:
We're ex-directory. I'll send you the number.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?