Friday, January 20, 2006

 

Singapore

At 1215 I wasn't going to Singapore next week, and by 1245 I pretty much was. By 1500, the tickets were booked. We pitched to a potential customer via a reseller on Wednesday (heard about it last Friday, got the details Monday, wrote it up Tuesday, sent it off that afternoon), and they liked it. Enough to ask us to pitch on Wednesday. It appears that Singapore's even further away from the UK than I'd thought (I checked on a map, and everything). 12 and a half hours out, over 14 and a half back: these are serious flights. I talked to Peter, my boss, and he agreed that it would make sense to book a non-economy ticket so that I can do some work on the plane (power and space aren't really available in cattle class), as long as it wasn't too expensive. After lots of searching, Cambridge Business Travel managed to find a cheap enough flight there and back (thanks, folks).

The problem about working on a plane is that it kind of assumes that you've got something to do the work on. But, as you'll recall if you've been following this blog, I lent my laptop to Peter. Who's not back till Wednesday. And I leave on Monday evening. Hmm.

So, we were planning to get a laptop for Fiona at some point (Peter had OKed it), and now that's been moved forward so that as long as it gets to us on Monday (which it should), we'll have time to get it set up enough for me to take it. It'll probably end up with Fiona when Peter gets back and leaves my old one for me. Or something like that. I'm a bit confused by it all, but we think it should all work out logistically.

So, Singapore. I've only been there before on stop-overs on the way to other places, and I'm looking forward to it. Need to check the temperature, humidity, etc. to find out what to wear, but I'll travel in comfy clothes and pack a suit for the meeting(s). Yes, it appears that while I'm out there, we might be able to arrange a couple of other meetings. I wish we had some spare cash, cos I'm sure there are lots of nice, cheap electronic bits and pieces that I could pick up.

I'll be missing next week's tutorial - or, at least, I'll have to reschedule - but the worst, of course, is being away from Jo and Moo for 4 nights. At least, these days, mobile phones mean that I can be touch with them whenever, and that they can call me if they need to (well, Moo can).

Speaking of Jo, she got her first proper shoes today. We're trying to encourage her to walk, partly so she's more tired of an evening and sleeps better, and the shoes seem to be helping. Moo walked her to the swings this afternoon (most of the way, anyhow), which Jo loved, and she's been taking the odd step here and there today, and without prompting at times, which is new. I'm so proud of her, and love her so much. I'm so proud of Moo, as well, who's just landed another interview, and I love her so much, too.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?