Wednesday, January 11, 2006

 

Laptop dead

My laptop's dead, which means that I have to use a nasty old desktop machine at work, and that if I want to do anything at home, I need to go up to my office or use Moo's laptop, if she's got it downstairs. I tried to turn it on whilst on the plane on the way back from Nice, and fsck.reiserfs reported a nasty problem (which it thinks is a hardware issue), so I turned it off and will look at it with Oli (our sysadmin) in the office. Got home around 1915, so had lots of time with Moo, which was a welcome surprise, as I wasn't expecting to get home till later on.

Moo's a bit down, as she didn't get short-listed for one of the jobs she's applied for, which I have to say is also a surprise (though unwelcome), as I thought that there was a good match. Watched West Wing to cheer her up a bit.


Comments:
Ouch! Hope you managed to back up all your critical files. Both of my IBM ThinkPads (T-23 and T-40) had the hard drives die after less than two years, which tells me that IBM views laptops as "consumables." If yours is a hardware issue, hopefully it's not something motherboard-related that will require a complete replacement.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?