Tuesday, January 24, 2006

 

Busy day

Last night, I managed to read the assigned New Testament reading (I use the older (but not the oldest) BCP lectionary). I tend to keep a copy of the Psalms and New Testament in my main travelling bag, and used that, because what I prefer to use for the evening office, rather than carry a hard copy of the BCP and a Bible, is to use copies that I keep on my laptop. Of course, with my laptop pretty much dead last night, that wasn't really an option.

Got 7-8 hours of sleep last night, which was much more than I expected. Got up, then went for a very chilly swim in the condominium pool. Got dressed, cooked eggs and bacon for me and Andrew, and then we headed off for the big meeting. Can't really talk about it - maybe if we get it and it goes live, but not for now - but it went very well. Went for lunch in - of all places - Burger King (dear, oh dear, oh dear), then had a two o'clock meeting. Can't even remember what it was (I'm back-posting this on Thursday). Then went to Kim Shim Square, which is an electronics boutique (well, collection of probably a hundred little shops), and managed to spend much less money than I'd expected to. Bought a USB flash-drive reader (which reads Reduced Size MMC cards - like the one I have for my lovely Nokia 6680 - without a little snap-on converter, which all other readers I've seen require) and an external USB caddy for a 2.5 inch HDD. Managed not to buy a disk to go in it - I wasn't convinced that the prices they had were that good - or any of the much more expensive things that they had on show. Phoned Si to ask him whether there was anything that he wanted me to buy and bring back (and to offer the same other Posse members). In the end, the mid-price items (like the latest nVidia card, the 7800 GT and Seagate Barracuda 300 gig SATA drives) were close in price, or even a little more, than the current UK prices. The more expensive items, like cameras, seemed cheaper, however.

If Kim Shim Square's anything to go by, mp3 players with video (mp4?) are going to be the next big thing. Not quite sure what you'd use them for, but hey.~

Went out to a food hall for supper. Food hall doesn't really cover it. There are a bunch of communal tables, with centralised cleaning services, and a set of small kiosk-like shops selling different kinds of food. "Self-service", which means that you order and pay for your food, they cook it in real-time, and then you pick it up and eat it. Good food, quick and cheap.

Moo had an interview with a communications company for a job today. It sounds like they were looking for someone with a health experience and account experience - Moo has the former and not the latter, but they may be able to use her for consultancy, which would be good.

I had a bit of a brainwave this evening, and decided that if I stopped trying to fix the dead partition, and just didn't mount it, things might be OK. I'd had problems with Windows yesterday (though that's on a different partition, natch), but it was worth a try. And, wonder of wonders, it worked: Linux (Ubuntu) booted up fine. Decided not to trust the hard disk, so made sure that the USB drive was where I saved things. Always. As well as putting files on hard disk.

Very tired, didn't, I'm afraid, say the evening office.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?