Saturday, December 31, 2005

 

New Year's Eve

Finished my second essay: "Discuss the characteristics and theological significance of the principal covenants in the Hexateuch". Hmm, yes. More interesting than you might think. The first issue is what the Hexateuch (first six books of the Old Testament (Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy, Joshua), not the first five (first five == the Pentateuch))? The main reason is that, if you're looking at covenant issues, then finishing with Joshua 24 makes lots of sense. Anyway, did just over 1500 words for this, which is a wonder (I expected to be well over, as I struggle with word limits). I was worried that I wouldn't have much to add the sum of human knowledge on this issue, which I don't like: I'm used, these days, to writing documents that push my understanding. However, I certainly learnt a few things as I wrote the essay, which is good.

Took Jo to Halstead in the morning, and spent a good hour and a half tramping round the shops and up and down the high street. Went to the police station to hand in a dodgy fiver (== five pound note). Me: "you can do what you want with it, but I wouldn't advise trying to spend it." Policewoman: "We'll burn it". Ah, OK, then. Jo was fantastic. We spent the time trying to find presents for Si and D, only to discover, when we got to theirs this evening, that they'd thought that we weren't buying them for each other. Whoops. Oh, at least D liked the yard of Jaffa Cakes that I got her. We've spent a good hour playing "Piss Artists", which is a game where you have to describe/draw (not very) dodgy phrases, etc.. Entertaining and diverting, at least.

Anyone who wants to come along is very welcome to join me at Stambourne church at 0930 tomorrow morning. I'm taking the service and will be preaching on Christ's naming and circumcision. I'll not focus on the circumcision: more on the issues of observance and Luke's keen-ness to situate Jesus within the Jewish tradition.

Breaking news: Moo's sat outside and describes me as a dullard for sitting in here (briefly) writing up my blog. Si says: "isn't that a kind of duck?".

No, Si, that's a mallard...


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?