Saturday, December 17, 2005

 

Essay done

Well, I'm posting this late (on Sunday), not so much because I'm a bad, bad boy, but because I was up late last night finishing my first essay for ERMC. I got to choose the title (although I had to get it approved), and it ended up being "Can we study the Old Testament? The impact of the Christian canon on Old Testament theology". The first draft ended up having less than it should have done about the New Testament, however. More work needed there.

However, I managed to get a draft done which I was pretty pleased with: there's a strong postmodern slant to it. Lots of semiotics in there, discussions about tradition and translations both being betrayals of the text, that kind of thing. I'm rather pleased with it: although it's serious, it was somewhat playful, too, which is good deconstructionist stuff. I know that all sounds desperately pretentious, but I think that the essay hangs together pretty well.

It's a bit weird, however: I'm supposed to be writing a essay that follows up my own interests, and at MA or doctorate level, and it was quite difficult to work out how to pitch it. I ended up - not entirely consciously, though it seemed to work - trying to write something that I'd be happy working up for a published article.

Earlier (lots earlier: starting at 0835), I'd taken Jo for a walk (her on my back, obviously). I was feeling great, and hoped to make it a two hourer, but she started to get upset. For the first couple of times, I discovered that running for a bit, which got her bouncing up and down, helped, but then it all went a bit Pete Tong. She really lost it, and I had to call in the cavalry and ask Moo to come and pick us up. To be fair, the problem was the it was just below freezing, and blowing a really cutting gale which kept hitting as we went across exposed areas. I think that her face just got to cold. Moo forgave me, but mainly because the sulky looks the Jo gave me (oh, she looks so like her mother sometimes) meant that I was already well guilt-tripped.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?