Sunday, November 13, 2005

 

Remembrance Sunday

Today is Remembrance Sunday, when we remember all those who fell - and served - in the two World Wars, and other conflicts. In our church, we start the service at 1045, with the "uniformed organisations" - Scouts, Guides, etc. - bringing flags. We then go outside with wreaths, which representatives of the organisations, the parish and the British Legion lay on the war memorial in the churchyard. We then have brief prayer, the priest reads out the names on the war memorial (1914-1918 and 1939-1945), and as 1100 approaches, a trumpeter plays the Last Post. We observe 2 minutes of silence, and then the trumpeter plays the Reveille. We then all process back into the church, and continue with the service of Remembrance.

I was asked to play the organ this year, and we had some good hymns, including "Jerusalem", "He who would valiant be", "Immortal, Invisible, God only Wise", and the first verse of the National Anthem. Although it's felt a little too jingoistic to sing, I played "I Vow to Thee My Country" as the processional at the end. It's just a great tune, and I wanted to play it (as I did last year), and Keith (our rector) didn't mind, so I did. I also saved his bacon a little, as I realised that he'd forgotten the National Anthem, so I launched in before he could finish the service. He seemed quite relieved at the end.

I've got my monthly supervision with Keith tomorrow, and we've agreed to talk about Atonement. I guess I'd better recheck what I wrote the other day at some point.

Another good walk today with Jo - maybe 6 miles, at a seriously good pace. Walked to Stambourne and Toppesfield, and around the village a little. Met Claudia (and little Stella) and Claudia's friend Sophie at the end of the walk, and we popped back to the farm to grab some of Claudia and James' beef. Must remember that we owe them seventeen quid.

Other things to remember:

Oh, but my life's exciting. Hope Morgan's better.


Comments:
I'm sure that can be arranged...
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?