Friday, November 04, 2005

 

Mozilla search bar

Just discovered that the mozilla search bar isn't just for Google: it's for multiple searches. In fact, my mozilla-firefox comes with searches for google, ebay, amazon, debian, ubuntu and more. I've also discovered that you can add or edit these searches, and have added amazon.co.uk and eBayUK. In the course of doing this, I thought I'd add one to search my blog. To do this, I looked at the "search this blog" at the top of this page, only to discover that it doesn't work (it strips a "/" out, if anyone's interested). I've told www.blogger.com, so hopefully they'll fix it. I've been unable to work out how to get the blogger search facility to work from a firefox search script, but decided not to spend too much time on it, at least until they fix the problem I've reported.

Spent a fair amount of the afternoon using a variety of (completely legal) online tools and social engineering to get in touch with someone from a well-known multinational who doesn't even give out his phone number to the press. As I managed to get through to his voice mail, I feel that I won that one. (Ooh, homophones - they're fun).

Music today

I'm seriously unhappy about this: US decides to control the online world because they no best, no, really they do: they did a great job in Iraq. And Vietnam. And Korea. And at Watergate. And Irangate.

What _are_ they thinking? It's like saying that you shouldn't think about environmental issues now, because it might upset today's economic climate. WHAT ABOUT YOUR CHILDREN? AND YOUR GRANDCHILDREN? Calm, calm.

Doesn't the US realise that the rest of the world's economy has a stake in the Internet? I know that the US doesn't like the UN, but who else is there?


Comments:
I wouldn't worry too much about the U.S. attempting to "control" the online world, given, as you so clearly pointed out, that they (the USG, that is) can't even control their own backyard (like you said, look at the swell job they're doing in Iraq and Afghanistan).

Thanks, too, for contacting blogger about the site search issue. Unfortunately, my experience with Blogger.com to date is that they're not very responsive to customer input. I've sent them two suggestions in the last six months (one of which was for incorporation of SSL-3 functionality into the logon and dashboard functions), both of which responded in an autoresponse email simply acknowledging receipt, but never followed up by specific responses, affirmative or otherwise.

I hope you have better luck.
 
Hmm. I was a little OTT on this issue, I think. I seem to remember having had a couple of glasses of wine before finishing the post. Sorry about that. Nothing yet about the site search issue, and I've been unable to work out how to make it work by calling the relevant URL.
 
Hmm. I was a little OTT on this issue, I think. I seem to remember having had a couple of glasses of wine before finishing the post. Sorry about that

Sorry? Good heavens, what on earth for? Whatever vintage you were drinking, I'll have some too! :)~
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?