Saturday, November 19, 2005

 

ERMC day 2

A very interesting day on atonement today. First a double act by Mike and Holger, the former on the OT, the latter on the NT. There was rather too much overlap, and I suspect that with a little more communication between them, Holger might have been able to cut some material, and have had more time. I tried to follow his references in the Greek, which was interesting, and I had a side conversation with Ricarhd via paper notes. After that, a more detailed seminar with Richard on doctrine (the previous one was on the theory). I've found the weekend very stimulating intellectually, in particular the pieces with Richard, and I feel that I have a much better understanding of what's going on. Maree in particular gave me a new perspective on the exemplary model and how important it is in a pastoral context, and I made sure that I tracked her down to thank her.

A good walk in the lovely and chilly surroundings of the Pastoral Centre which, while I think of it, is that imposing building with a large chapel-shaped edifice attached that you always wonder about as you drive past junctions 12 and 22 of the M25. The walk was with Andy, who's training for URC ministry, and it was interesting to find out how it all works in his world.

After supper, and "Community Matters" (a catch-up on bits and pieces for the course and community), there was an "Alternative Worship" session, with a music group and contemporary songs/choruses. I stuck it out for quite a long time, but felt both uncomfortable and that I was getting nothing from it, so left. I was pleased at one level, however, because I was able to see a number of people who I have high regard for as ordinands, theologians and Christians really getting into it. This suggests to me that any suspicions I might have had that this style of worship is, basically, empty, were completely ill-founded: it's just that it doesn't work for me at all. It's just something that isn't me, and that's good.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?