Saturday, October 01, 2005

 

Grandparents

A lovely day with Kate and Mac today. We drove up from my work last night, arriving early enough to enjoy most of the evening with them. Jo slept in the car, as did Moo for a while: they both went to bed at 9! I discovered yesterday afternoon that I'd prepared a sermon for tomorrow on the wrong reading, so I've been trying to grab a few minutes here and there to work on the correct one. So far, I've not felt very inspired, and may end up preaching on what I'd already thought about, but there's the drive back this evening. (Later) After some thought and prayer, realised that the connections that Jesus makes in the lectionary reading (Matthew 21:33-46, the parable of the tenants) resonatep rather closely with my thoughts in the blog yesterday on the OT. He cites it explicitly with the quote about the stone rejected by the builders, and implicitly with the mention of the servants/slaves sent before the son (usually thought of as a reference to the prophets). Jesus thought of himself as part of a tradition, and Matthew is very keen to place him firmly in that throughout the gospel. There are OT references in almost every chapter of Matthew, in fact. So, that gives me a framework to start with, at least.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?