Thursday, October 13, 2005

 

Exhaustion

Only got home at around 0030 this morning, so I'm pretty shattered today, as I had to get up and go to work today (isn't life hard?). However, another good day, in that I had one piece of work that I really needed to get finished, and I've managed it, so that's good. A couple of weeks ago, things were so quiet, and all of a sudden, there's a flood on. Weird how that works, isn't it?

Although it's really still rather warm (it was up in the high teens centigrade earlier in the week, and has hardly dipped below 10, even at night, for a while), autumn really seems to be coming on. The nights are drawing in (what a lovely phrase), the rain's coming down, the trees and hedgerows are turning, and it's foggy some of the time. I really don't mind: autumn and winter are great times of year for me. Partly because I can light a fire at home and snuggle up warm, and partly, I suspect, because these days I'm not forced to go out in the cold, wet half-light to play sport.

It's been dawning on me over the past few days how much hard work the ERMC course is going to be. I have a pretty busy work life, and, what with being a dad, too, it's easy to get overwhelmed. I think I'm going to have to continue doing what I've been doing so far, which is to cram the academic stuff when I can, and let the reflective side take place in the day-to-day. That's always seemed to work for me, though: I rarely find that I sit down and _do_ theological reflection (though it's happened that way in the past from time to time). More often, events will trigger thoughts, which will trigger more, just as I drive to work, or get some lunch, or just while I sit in the bath. Given how little time I have just to sit and think at the moment, this is probably a very good thing.

One thing that I've found interesting over the past week was how easy I found it to pray while I was ill. And not for me - though I did pray to get better - but for those who were ill, but didn't have people to care for them, or medicine, or sanitation, or even the clean water that I was needing to drink so much of to get better. And the situation in South-East Asia, with the earthquake, or course brought that into sharp focus.

Music today (in fact, only part of it: a bug in the script?)


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?