Thursday, September 22, 2005

 

Support, Rita and Ubuntu

Spent much of the day dealing with a number of support calls from one of our customers who's due to go live pretty soon. I think things are sorted now, and it's not a bug with our software: we're helping them through with something which has turned out to be a little trickier than expected. I'm going to be one of the (three) people doing 24x7 support from next week. A bit of a commitment, true, but both Moo and I reckon it's worth the money. Hopefully there shouldn't be too much coming through, and if there is, there's extra money for that, too. We could use it at the moment - small babies and 1500 quid on the car don't help much...

So, the US is braced for another big hurricane. We can only hope and pray that there won't be the levels of devastation that we saw with Katrina. I guess (though I couldn't be sure) that Houston doesn't start below the waterline, so we shouldn't see the terrible flooding that New Orleans suffered, but the damage from the force of the hurricane itself may be huge. The latest news seems to be that there's gridlock on the roads out of Houston - which means that many people may get stuck in cars when the storm hits. I know that the official view is that this isn't caused by global warming, but it can't help, surely?

Ubuntu seems good. Apart from the fact that it didn't install smbfs (which contains the apps required to allow you to mount samba - Windows - network shares), which took me quite a while to discover, it seems OK. Comes with a shiny new kernel, though not as new as the one I was using on my laptop, so I may roll my own. On a related note, it seems that the problem with fast USB devices failing to be registered properly is something to do not with hardware but the relevant driver: ehci_hcd. When I remove this, things work fine (though slower than they ought to, obviously!). There seems to be a clash of some sort with something else kernel-related, but I've been unable to track it down yet, as there seem to be another set of problems which give similar symptoms, but which don't seem to be related.

Thanks, btw, to Mark, who's helped me with a couple of questions that I had with Ubuntu: the most important one being how to get a root login. Cheers, mate.

Music today


Comments:
well, I've just got it working. let me know if you want a hand... It wasn't hacking: just copying some config files.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?